Hiding Whitespace, New Line and Carriage Return Characters in ColdFusion Builder

Jun 24, 2011     17142 Views      CFBuilder , CFEclipse       Comments (8)

Just a quick note to myself, this issue is happened to me previously and I somehow forget how I fixed it. Yesterday I accidently enabled the Whitespace characters in ColdFusion Builder which in turn displays the new line (\n) and carriage return (\r) characters as well in the Editor.

This is how my editor looks even after the "Show whitespace characters" is unchecked under the Preferences > Editors > Text Editor Section of my ColdFusion Builder.

After a bit of goggling I get the solution from Raymond Camden blog for hiding the white space characters. So to Show or Hide the whitespace / New Line / Carriage Return Characters in ColdFusion Builder or Eclipse all we need to use is CTRL + . (CTRL + DOT) key combinations.

Tweet This Share on Google + Share on LinkedIn Pin It on Pinterest

Comments

# Lola LB on Dec 27, 2011 at 11:09 AM

The image is missing . . .

# Akbarsait on Dec 28, 2011 at 12:52 AM

@Lola - Image is available now.

# Lola LB on Dec 28, 2011 at 4:57 AM

No, it's still not showing up. I double-checked in another browser (Chrome) and the image is missing there as well.

# Todd on Feb 9, 2012 at 4:39 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH! btw.... on Mac it's: Command + .

# George Bridgeman on Mar 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Thank you so much for this. Turned this option on by accident when trying to close a tag! On large monitors it slows CF Builder (Mac version) to an absolute crawl and gobbles all available CPU.

George.

# Akbarsait on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM

@Todd & @George

Glad to Help.

@Lola

The images is available now and thanks for letting me know.

# Matt on May 25, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Thaankyou for this, the amount of times i have accidently hit this keystroke and turned it on.

# Nancy on Oct 16, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Thank you George!!! I was searching for "coldfusion builder slows to a crawl" which brought this thread up. I never would have guessed it was the whitespace! Thank you thank you thank you. I was going out of my mind.

About Me

CFML/Web/Mobile/Salesforce/Agile Enthusiast, Husband & Dad, an avid Technology, Android fan and creator of GetCFMLJobs.com. Currently working as a Sr.Consultant & TPM in Phoenix,  Arizona.

GetCFMLJobs.com!
Get Your Next CFML Job!
CFMLThisWeekly!
Newsletter for CFML Community!
ColdFusion Tuts